View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Joe,

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement.

I was hospitalized after I passed out and then in the hospital I developed hemiparesis on my left side. Took many days for that to resolve. Doctors of course were concerned that it might be a stroke and ran all the relevant scans. Fortunately scans came back clean.

Young neurologist decided I must have conversion syndrome (i.e. the brain converting psychological stress into physical manifestations) and asked if I would do a psych consult. I was happy to and after a nice chat with the psychiatrist he wrote in the chart that there was no way it was conversion. So what did the neurologist do, well of course he diagnosed me with conversion. Oh well. Fortunately after the hospitalization I followed up with more experienced physicians who have gotten past new doctor syndrome (i.e. I attended med school and now I know everything) and they are getting me on the right path to health.

I guess hemiparesis is a very rare symptom for MG, but there are some documented cases in which the disease first presented this way. Usually ocular aspects show up in connection with this, which is exactly what has happened to me. Then it progresses to more generalized MG symptoms, which is also happening to me.

-Willie
limpbiscuit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote