Thread: My SSI story :(
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypaw View Post
I have Bipolar II, PTSD, Borderline, anxiety, and depression. I applied for SSI two years ago and was ultimately denied at the ALJ hearing, which was earlier this year.

The denial letter was so devastating that I went to the ER for being suicidal. My life since has been a nightmare of financial stress and depression that I can't seem to get out of.

My attorney filed a new claim and so I am now waiting to see what happens this time. Meanwhile I'm still severely depressed all the time...the worst ever in my entire life. Suicidal thoughts, anxiety, crying every day.

I'm completely dependent upon my friend who is my landlord. My family is far away and won't help me financially. I survive on a tiny amount of welfare each month. And here's the worst part...on various days that I'm feeling barely well enough, I am relying on prostitution to help me survive financially.

I hope this doesn't shock anyone or make them judge me....I wonder how many people have had to resort to crime in order to survive after being denied SSI. Never in a million years did I see my life turning out this way.
Kittypaw,

I am so sorry you are going through so much. Have you considered asking your attorney to involve your congressman/congresswoman at this point?

As far as I know, your atty would still be paid for his representation of you from your back benefits when you have a favorable determination.

When I applied for disability about a year before I was at the hearing level. I was advised to contact my congressman. Within a month of contacting his office, somehow they got all my medical records and work records to the ALJ.

Even though I was at the hearing level, the ALJ rendered "fully favorable" without the need for a hearing.

I realize that you've gone beyond the hearing level, having been denied. But it sure can't hurt anything to discuss getting "congressional interest" in your case. Perhaps your attorney and congressperson can work together to get it done.

I feel for you in your circumstances. I exhausted my 401k waiting waiting waiting, as that was all I had to live on. I was a month away from being homeless when it was suggested to me to involve my congressman. Once I involved my congressman, I had a favorable decision in about 1 month. Then again, I was at the hearing level and mine was decided by the ALJ based solely on the records he was able to obtain.

As you do have an attorney representing you, of course consult first with him/her on that option. It sure can't hurt to ask, right?
litliwlowa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kittypaw (07-31-2013)