View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Just underwent Ketamine Coma in Orange County CA

The palliative care team (run by Dr Liao the doctors are all AMAZING) at UCI Hospital in Orange JUST performed a "ketamine coma" on me. I am in fact still in the hospital about to be discharged.

I was on over 700 mg morphine total a day with a pain level that, despite that, was never below a 7 and was almost always a 8 or 9. As of now, following the procedure, I am currently a 0 and remain that way the majority of the time with my worst pain spikes being a 4.

The coma was by no means the first choice of treatment but for me we were out of options. The palliative team uses Ketamine in many ways including as a add on to traditional pain medications in small doses to make it more effective.

It took the hospital a year and a half to approve the procedure (the hospital itself not the palliative team) and I believe I am the first to undergo the procedure here. My mind has never been so clear or so sharp nor can I even begin to explain what its like to have no pain after a lifetime spent in pain.

I continue to take ketamine (oral) and will continue to do so at home but other than that I am off all narcotics except for a 25 mg fentanyl patch placed every 72 hrs. This Palliative Care team (who's goal and focus is not just treating the pain but the whole patient and all that comes along with chronic pain- like depression) is worth the drive if you live ANYWHERE in southern CA. Its so refreshing to have doctors who understand its the pain that causes the depression and other issues not the other way around.

It isn't for everybody, this procedure, and you really have to weigh the risks but for me this was and is life-changing. For the first time I realize I will actually be able to attend college, my dream.

It may not work for everyone, please don't take my experience as a promise of what's to be expected and I don't know what tomorrow will hold but if I were to wake up next month in just as much pain as before I would still have consider this procedure a success.

If you have any specific questions **
sparky4christ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (07-29-2013), ALASKA MIKE (07-30-2013), birchlake (07-29-2013), Enna70 (05-21-2015), ginnie (07-30-2013), Russell (10-13-2015), shelbie4u (05-21-2015)