Thread: At my wits end
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Take a deep breath, let it out, and do it again. Nice slow deep breathing.

Now, it sounds to me that you have several things going on at once. The headache and diarrhea could be caused by a virus. You don't need to run a temperature to have a virus or infection. For the next few days, eat a bland diet and drink plenty of fluids so you don't dehydrate. Also, some of the meds you are on can cause both a headache and diarrhea. Check out the side effects listed for the medications. Since you started some new ones, check those first as they may be the culprit of the headache and/or diarrhea. Be careful taking baclofen and tramadol together as it can cause some serious side effects.

Most of us MSers live in some sort of pain every day. You are not alone in your pain. We do many things to manage the pain and finding the right combination of things is key. I know that Erika and I posted on a thread of yours about how we use distraction to manage our pain. Again, I strongly suggest you find something to distract you when you are starting to feel pain. Once you get in that pain cycle it is hard to break. Make a promise to yourself to not allow yourself to get in the cycle.

Some doctors are only as good as the patient. Learning about the pain caused by MS symptoms will help you be a calmer patient. I also suggest you talk to your PCP about the symptoms you are experiencing. Your pain is not being managed properly and you may need different medications.

Also, take a nice warm shower or bath before you go to bed. If I am able to get in the tub and someone is here to help me if needed, I take a nice Epsom salt bath. Epsom salt is great as it has magnesium and sulfate. It is easily absorbed through the skin and can help ease the pain of muscle spasms. In addition, it helps with tension and anxiety and helps you relax.

We've discussed the ER before. Most ERs don't do much for MSers. There really isn't much that they can do when it is just pain. I have been to the ER for pain and really all they do is try to treat the pain there and send me on my way with instructions to follow up with my neurologist. However, I have been admitted as well due to things like not being able to walk and being in a major flare. Don't rely on the ER to fix your pain. For a lot of us, the pain really never goes away. We've learned to just deal with it, as annoying as it may be.

Your doctors are there for you as well as your mom. You just need to relax as much as possible so that your support team (whether family, friends, and/or doctors) can help you. Again, I also suggest you talk to your dr about getting a GI consult as you may have something going on with your digestive tract (based on what you have posted).

Again, take deep breaths and relax. You are going to be okay and you'll find your way through all of this. Find that distraction and focus on that.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (07-29-2013), Erika (07-29-2013), Kitty (07-29-2013), KittyLady (07-31-2013), Mariel (07-29-2013), nemsmom (07-29-2013), Sparky10 (07-30-2013)