Thread: At my wits end
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I remember thinking that my symptoms were just not bad enough for doctors to take them seriously when I was mostly dealing with RRMS. I too thought that they didn't care or weren't making an effort to help me.
More recently, after going through a long unabating stretch of increasing symptoms, punctuated with a series of digestive problems that landed me in the OR, I came to realize that doctors will do what they can when symptoms arise that they have treatments for. Yet quite often, the doctors are just as frustrated as we are when symptoms arise that do not respond to treatment other than a level of symptom control.

That leaves us to deal with challenges that can not be remedied by medications and other treatments. Finding ways to cope as best we can includes becoming informed about symptoms (both physical and mental/emotional). As more information is gained, we can lay it upon our own terrain of symptoms and life style to see how it may or may not apply. Doing this may reveal ways to nip things in the bud and may also reveal ways to cope.

As mentioned in another thread, I caught myself having dark thoughts recently and knowing that is a symptom of depression, I looked into natural ways to deal with it before heading off to my PCP. I know that there may come a time when antidepressants may be needed but it seemed that I was just overwhelmed after going through a rough patch and finding myslef home alone to deal with the aftermath. In this instance, the solution was to go on a short trip and visit family. Yes, it was difficult to travel with a body that isn't always cooperating but both planning for that and actually taking the trip gave me something to do other than spending time with unwanted thoughts.

Some things may not work for you but some very well may. We have all learned that some symptoms don't go away, but it is important to experiment with ways of coping that allow you to live your life with meaningful purpose anyway.

Coming here to post is a valuable tool to share what we are going through and to both receive and provide the support that physicians, family and friends often just don't have the understanding to provide. I've come to realize that their lack of understanding is simply due to not having the personal experience of going through what we do on a day to day basis.
It most certainly does not mean that they don't care.

Embracing you with thoughts of encouragement. You can do this; especially if you remember that you are not alone. We are here for you and know what you are going through .

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (07-29-2013), KittyLady (07-31-2013), lefthanded (07-30-2013), Mariel (07-29-2013)