View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default X-ray Hearing, a super-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadu00 View Post
I am wondering what others have done to treat severe sound sensitivity. I've had this symptom for almost two years and while other symptoms have improved, this one has not improved at all.

Has anyone found a form of treatment that helped them with sound sensitivity? Has anyone here found that their sound sensitivity gradually decreased with time? Are there any particular coping mechanisms that you have found effective?

Thank you for your feedback.
My friend calls it X-ray hearing and considers it a super power - to make me laugh at myself and find a silver lining. My sound sensitivity was recently diagnosed as hyperacusis.

1 - The audiologist prescribed musician ear filters, but I can't afford them yet. An alternative that works for me is using my sound canceling ear buds. Not all ear buds are created equal...in fit or filtering ability, so if one doesn't work...keep looking.

2 - 6 yrs post injury my sensitivity has not decreased, but do find my reaction (emotional lability) has improved with exposure to white noise.

3 - Coping: Limit exposure to known sound issues like busy restaurants, stores, concerts, etc. Use ear filters, ear plugs or ear buds in noisy situations. I hear everything which causes my senses to be overwhelmed so when I can't avoid noise I plug my earbuds into my phone/iPod and listen to music to cancel the other noises - I find this a big help.
ReWiredKris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
xanadu00 (07-29-2013)