View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

I agree with you, completely. When I look back on what I wrote, I can see why you misunderstood me. I told my Neuro that I was taking the ALA. I thought it was helpful to some extent, but still had pins & needles (I get some still, but not so bad) & other pains. This is when he mentioned it doesn't seem to help many, so he didn't recommend it to his patients. He asked me if I still took it, at my last appt.

The discomfort has worn me down. I tried the drugs for help, for which they have, to an extent. As I told my Neuro, the folded sock pain is the worst, like walking on a string of cut glass behind my toes, which the drugs only killed temporarily. So that brings me back to the Podiatrist and the metatarsal pads. I can pretty much do the experimenting on placement, without paying for office calls. Incidentally, my trying these new pads, and finding how much better these worked, than the old ones, was a "good feeling", pun intended. That's also why I offered my experience with it on the forum. I wish I could find other natural stuff that would make things tolerable for me, but I'll take what I can get. I wouldn't hesitate to taper down or completely off the Nortriptyline (at a safe rate) with or without my Dr's consent.

I talked with my Neuro about all the folks I've read about on NeuroTalk that are on a handful of different drugs, and aren't able to get relief. He confided in me that, that as a Dr., he was frustrated that many of his patients aren't able to get the relief that he wished he could get them.

And, yes, the next drugs likely in line, Lyrica and Tramedol, are tough to get off of, once you start them, he agreed. I told him I felt fortunate to get partial relief, and get around as well as I am. My pain is mainly when I walk & seldom have anything that would bother me at night, other that an occasional stabbing or cramping. I haven't given up on natural remedies (my GP likes them), but finding one that work for me gets discouraging. (Extra B12 & 6 didn't do a thing for me, but I'm a believer in B1, so I continue to take along with folic acid & a good multivitamin) The fact I learned about the ALA and vitamin E, which is somewhat helpful, keeps me going, on that end.

While I read the omega 3 being mentioned here, I found more stuff on the web about it but it doesn't seem to be recommended a whole lot, but I hate seafood, so I'm sure I'm lacking. LOL How's that for a reason to try it?
groucho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote