View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
As I told my Neuro, the folded sock pain is the worst, like walking on a string of cut glass behind my toes, which the drugs only killed temporarily.
Sorry if you've mentioned this before (and I either forgot or missed it) but how long have you had this cut glass FSS? I ask because I've noticed that this condition (PN) has gone through phases with me. FSS was one of my first symptoms (though without pain) and I don't feel it at all anymore except during flares (like the day after I have a slice of pizza ). IIRC, my FSS took ~a year to resolve.

Quote:
I talked with my Neuro about all the folks I've read about on NeuroTalk that are on a handful of different drugs, and aren't able to get relief. He confided in me that, that as a Dr., he was frustrated that many of his patients aren't able to get the relief that he wished he could get them.
I've heard that myself. Sometimes there's even more to it. I've posted this before, but it explains some things.

A Letter to Patients With Chronic Disease

In looking for the above link, I also came across this one, which I'd forgotten about...

Quote:
Giving Chronic Pain a Medical Platform of Its Own

Chronic pain often goes untreated because most doctors haven’t been trained to understand it. And it is isolating: Family members and friends may lose patience with the constant complaints of pain sufferers. Doctors tend to throw up their hands, referring patients for psychotherapy or dismissing them as drug seekers trying to get opioids.

“Most people with chronic pain are still being treated as if pain is a symptom of an underlying problem,” said Melanie Thernstrom, a chronic pain sufferer from Vancouver, Wash., who wrote “The Pain Chronicles: Cures, Myths, Mysteries, Prayers, Diaries, Brain Scans, Healing and the Science of Suffering” (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2010) and was a patient representative on the committee.

“If the doctor can’t figure out what the underlying problem is,” she went on, “then the pain is not treated, it’s dismissed and the patient falls down the rabbit hole.”
Quote:
While I read the omega 3 being mentioned here, I found more stuff on the web about it but it doesn't seem to be recommended a whole lot, but I hate seafood, so I'm sure I'm lacking. LOL How's that for a reason to try it?
Did you see this one?

Uncovering a Healthier Remedy for Chronic Pain

BTW -- are you taking a good antioxidant or 2 or 3?

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote