View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Nell Bowen,

You're welcome.

If you go to an endodontist, of course he will root canal that newly crowned tooth because that is the only type of dentistry that he does. So you have to decide whether or not you want to have it root canaled.

The tooth could be hurting if it is not fitting properly into your bite. You could be clenching against it or grinding into it which is making it sore. You said that you noticed the pain more when you did either of those things. If it is a bite problem and it is not corrected, then the nerve will become irritated and it will die.

So your dentist should really be looking at this more closely than he is. He should also see how your night guard is fitting with this new crown to make sure that is not causing a problem. The night guard may need to be adjusted to accommodate the new crown.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Bowen View Post
Thank you for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. The pain is definitely coming from the newly re-crowned tooth, not the root canal tooth which is in front of the crowned tooth. There was no decay in the tooth so I think it's the nerve. I've been back to the dentist and he said x-rays show nothing so I should go to the endodontist. I'm not sure what my options are but I really don't want another root canal. Is it possible that the nerve can heal over time if it is the nerve? I'm really upset over the whole thing because if I had known there was a chance that by replacing a cracked crown I would have to have a root canal, I wouldn't have replaced the crown at this time. Shouldn't patients be told this is a possibility beforehand by the dentist? I really never knew it was possible. Thanks again.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote