View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi annikasamper,

The problem is that once a tooth becomes infected or it is root canaled, the tooth remains infected. Some rc teeth hurt and others won't because if a tooth has made a path in the bone for the bacteria to drain, the inflammation will be temporarily reduced which means less physical pain ...until the path closes over. A draining infection is serious and does not alter the fact that the tooth remains infected. It does not matter how many times a tooth is root canaled... or how many times the rc tooth is crowned.... or what it used to disinfect it..... or what the canals are sealed with... or how many times an apicoectomy is done.... the only way to cure the infection is to remove the source of the infection which is the tooth.

Dental infections may not show up on an xray until they are large enough or pronounced enough to be picked up on the 2 dimensional film. So by the time a dentist sees it on the xray, the infection has already been present for quite some time.

There really is no way to "open a crown" to evaluate a tooth. Yes, some dentists will drill into the biting surface of a crown in an attempt to gain access to the large canals and perform a root canal. However, the view is minimal at best and there is never any access to the tiny canals that will continue to harbor infected nerve tissue. Cutting into a crown will ruin the integrity of it and compromise the stability of the crown. The bacteria and germs from doing the root canal cannot be completely removed from underneath that crown after the procedure and this is one reason why people often end up with a decay underneath the crown of a root canaled tooth.

Do you have a treatment plan with your dentist that includes all of your teeth?? Because it sounds like you have several dental problems and your dentist may be just patching you up here and there. It is not ideal to be patched up because not only will there always be issues with the patch up but the other problem teeth will eventually hurt too.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikasamper View Post
Hello,

Two months ago my crown fell out of my mouth, a crown that I have had for ten years (front upper tooth) . I never felt any pain from my tooth under the crown and had no problem with it until it fell out. I needed to get a crown 10 years ago because my root filled toth broke. I went to the dentist after the tooth fell out and he took some X-rays and told me that there was some infection and that he would need to take out the old root filling and put a new one. He put calcium in it after the root canal, after that I got some pain in the tooth and got some antibiotics and the pain went away but instead I started to get pain in the lower front tooth. The dentist ended up rootfilling the lower front tooth as well after he found a filling in it that had been leaking. Anyways, the pain in the lower front tooth finally went away but came back after several days, a sensitive pain, not a bad one, the dentist finally finished the root filling process with the lower tooth and still it is sense
tive with a little pain, one week after the final visit. Then suddenly I started to feel pain in my upper front tooth AGAIN (the little pain in the lower tooth is there as well). The pain feels like a sinus pain, I am not in pain when I chew on it, it just feel like an irritation, it is like a pain in my chin or something, I have been taking antibiotics but they have not helped. I have got holes in my teeth in the molars and sometimes the pain mooves from the front tooth to them.
Have you got any idea what could be the problem. I have been reading that an infection in a rootfilled tooth can never go away and it is always better to remove the tooth and get an implant? I also want to ask if the dentis could maybe take a look at this by openning the crown or will he have to remoove the crown in order to see what is going on?When the dentist finished working on the upper front tooth and put the old crown back in place he saw nothing wrong with it an nothing strange in the x-rays as well.
Thank you and I hope you can help :-)
My best regards
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote