View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 04:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

HI annikasamper,

Most dentists will not tell their patients that root canaled teeth are infected. If you skim through many of the previous posts on this forum, you will see countless people with that same concern.

You do not have to have pain at all for the tooth to be infected. So it is irrelevant where you feel the pain or if you feel pain. Every tooth has many hundreds of microscopic canals that are not accessible therefore they will continue to contain dead, infected nerve tissue. This simply means that irrelevant of what is done to the tooth, the tooth remains infected. The infection will eventually spread to the bone because it cannot contain itself within those tiny canals indefinitely. From your description, the infection has already spread to the bone and that's why your dentists is talking to you about doing the surgery.

The surgery he is talking about is called an apicoectomy. To be truthful, this is a barbaric surgical procedure in which the dentist removes a piece of the bone above the root of the tooth, does a root canal procedure from the top of the tooth down, somewhat plugs up the hole in the bone with either a mercury filling or cement and then sutures the gum closed. This procedure does nothing to alter the infection inside of the tooth. It will however cause more inflammation, more pain and permanently ruin the integrity of the bone. Many dentists do not even recommend this procedure anymore because it serves no purpose.

I am sorry to give you this bad news. I am sorry to say that many dentists fail to inform their patients about the truth about root canaled and infected teeth.

It is your choice whether you want to wait and see what happens. But understand that even if the tooth feels better, it doesn't mean the infection is gone. It means it is draining which can affect your systemic health.

I know this is not an easy thing to deal with and I do wish you the best.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikasamper View Post
Dear Bryanna,
Thank you so much for you answer.
I talked to my dentist before I saw the answer from you and he told me to wait and see, he said that because I donīt have a pain when I "knock" on the tooth it is not an infection. I have pain but the pain is like someone has been trying to pull the tooth out of my mouth, some kind of an irritation that leads to my chin. The dentist wants to do some kind of a root operation if the pan does not go away...My other teeth that have got holes in them, they will be fixed, I just have not had that done, I am afraid as well. Do you think I should see another dentist and is it , like you said, the infection could be there although I donīt hava a pain when I knock on my tooth with my fingers?
Thank you again.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote