View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Pete! Sorry about what you are dealing with! Yes, they are your records and you do have a right to see and obtain a copy of them. Because of HIPAA regulations, they are required to obtain a release form from you even if the records are gong to you. But it doesn't stop them from charging you for the copies. They normally do not charge when sent to another doctor. Looks like majority of the drs that charge for copies have outsourced that service...someone has to pay them...grrrr

I recently obtained copies of all my records. I wanted to send them in with my STD appeal and with my SSD claim. I am glad I got them, interesting how some drs are such idiots and pay NO attention to what the patient says!! My current PCP gave me an electronic copy at no charge (it was over 300 pages ). My PM dr used to be at a university hospital here, along with my neurologists and dermatologist, it is also where I had my SCS surgeries...I already had some of the records so I told them what I had and specifically what I needed. Guess what? Yes, they sent me what I already had and charged me $127! Some drs mailed me copies without issue or charge. I ended up spending close to $200 for all my records.

I agree that it doesn't seem right, but it is the norm.

Good luck to you!!
Nanc
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (08-04-2013)