View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
Hello,

Thank you for the replies. Just trying to understand disability and the entire process is giving me panic attacks.

Not to sound naive but I don't understand what to expect the very first meeting? Am I expected to call my Dr.'s and ask for their notes? and bring them? Or does S.S. contact them? I don't understand how I am supposed to get all the info. from at least 10 years or more of everything.. do they even go back ten years? Or just five?

I'm ready to just not even do this anymore..so overwhelmed.

What's the difference between SSI and SSD?

Thank you,

WindWalker
It can be an overwhelming process until you get used to the process. A lot of disability attorneys do not want to get involved at the initial application phase and will only jump in AFTER you are denied at the initial level. That does not mean they ALL work that way, just most in my experience.

As far as your medical records, you supply the SS rep with the names and address in your interview and they will contact your docs and obtain the medical records. You WILL need the names, addresses, and possibly the phone numbers of your docs.

SSDI is disability and SSI is supplemental coverage if your income is low enough. ( I believe they also consider your assets in determining your eligibility for SSI.) I am not sure but that is what I think I remember reading during my research many months ago.

How far back do they go? Well, 15 years, for your employment. Your medical records? I don't know. I would guess from the date of onset of your disability.

Be sure to check out the sticky notes listed for this forum. Another great source is "Disability Secrets" on the internet. Just google disability secrets and you will find huge amounts of info. You can read just some of it at first and then as time permits, read more as you begin to digest all the matters.

Do you have an appt already scheduled? Do you know if it will be a phone interview or an in-person interview? I understand that they will do either. Some sources say that the SS employees are very helpful. I did not avail myself of their help so I can't say if that is true or not.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-01-2013), WindWalker (08-01-2013)