View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Arrow FOOD-DRUG interaction between Latuda and Grapefruit Juice

Just a note about a FOOD-DRUG interaction:

It is advisable to avoid grapefruit juice and grapefruit while on Latuda. Grapefruit juice will raise the blood-levels of the drug (via CYP3A4 inhibition). Now, I don't honestly know whether the interaction would bring Latuda to toxic levels (depends on drug toxicity), but an increase in adverse reactions might still be problematic. A simple example might be excessive sedation.

Your doc may have already told you about this interaction, but I figured I'd mention it, since I didn't see it in the prescribing information. The enzyme pathway responsible for this interaction is very clearly disclosed with some of the drug-drug interactions.

If you want to consume grapefruit juice while on this drug, please consult your doctor. He will be aware of the drug's toxicity, adverse effects etc, in relation to your dosage, so he can advise whether there would be a significant problem for you, or not.

IMHO, it would never be a good idea to consume grapefruit while you are increasing or decreasing Latuda. It will throw a wrench into the gradual level change one is performing at these times.

waves

P.S. St. John's Wort and other herbs can also interact with Latuda, via the CYP3A4 enzyme pathway. Some herbs increase drug concentration, others reduce it. (In the latter case, therapeutic response will also be reduced.) It is important to consult your doctor before taking any herbal "supplement" with Latuda.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-01-2013), Brokenfriend (08-01-2013), mymorgy (08-02-2013)