View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Ori!

You are so funny
First let me clarify that I am not a doctor or a dentist. I am however in the dental field for 35 years. So yes, I have lots of knowledge that I will honestly and openly offer you... but I'm not a doctor

Okay so you are correlating your infected tooth #3 with your colds and other physical maladies. You are wise to consider that as possible and you may be right!

Here are your questions... I will answer them in bold type.

<<<For having my tooth extracted and the periodontal ligament scraped out. What questions should I ask the potential surgeon>>>>

YOU WANT TO TELL THE SURGEON YOU HAVE BECOME INFORMED ABOUT TOOTH EXTRACTIONS AND YOU HAVE SOME SPECIFIC REQUESTS. YOU WANT TO HAVE THE TOOTH REMOVED AS GENTLY AS POSSIBLE TO AVOID TRAUMA TO THE BONE AND SINUS IF POSSIBLE, AND YOU WANT THE PERIODONTAL LIGAMENT AND ALL NECROTIC TISSUE AND BONE REMOVED. ASK HIM IF HE DOES THIS ROUTINELY AND/OR WILL OBLIGE YOUR REQUESTS. THE REASONS FOR THE ABOVE REQUESTS ARE SIMPLY.....

YOU WANT THE TOOTH REMOVED GENTLY TO AVOID FRACTURE OF THE BONY RIDGE OR UNNECESSARY TRAUMA TO THE ADJACENT TEETH. IF THE INFECTION IS DEEP AND/OR SEVERE, THE RIDGE MAY BE COMPROMISED AND YOU WANT HIM TO REMOVE WHAT IS COMPROMISED, DON'T LEAVE IT THERE. THE LIGAMENT, NECROTIC TISSUE (CYSTS) AND BONE NEEDS TO BE REMOVED BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL INFECTED AND IF LEFT IN THERE IT WILL PREVENT THE BONE FROM HEALING PROPERLY. MAKE SURE YOU LET HIM KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO BE INFORMED OF ALL OF HIS FINDINGS AFTER THE EXTRACTION INCLUDING ANY ISSUES WITH THE SINUS.

<<<and what answers do I want to hear or do not want to hear? >>>>

IDEALLY YOU WANT HIM TO BE OPEN TO YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND REQUESTS AND NOT BE INTIMIDATED OR ANNOYED BY THEM. IDEALLY YOU WANT HIM TO SAY... I ALWAYS REMOVE THE LIGAMENT AND DEBRIDE THE BONE THOROUGHLY. A RED FLAG SHOULD GO UP IF YOU FEEL HE IS OFFENDED BY YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND/OR IF YOU FEEL THAT HE IS SMUG AND WILL DO WHAT HE WANTS IRRELEVANT OF WHAT YOU WANT.

<<<What equipment in this day and age should they have, example a laser???>>>

MOST "MODERNIZED" ORAL SURGEONS HAVE LASERS AND THE PROPER EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS. IT IS IMPORTANT TO GO TO AN OFFICE THAT IS NOT ANTIQUATED BECAUSE UNFORTUNATELY THESE DENTISTS OFTEN STILL PRACTICE OLD SCHOOL DENTISTRY. THE OFFICE MUST BE CLEAN IN THE WAITING ROOM, THE TREATMENT ROOMS AND YES, THE BATHROOM AS THIS USUALLY INDICATES THAT CLEANLINESS AND STERILE PRACTICES ARE IMPORTANT TO THE DENTIST.

<<<Plus any other advice you all have.>>>

YES, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO EXPRESS YOUR REQUESTS. JUST BE GENTLY ASSERTIVE IN YOUR APPROACH

Keep us posted Ori!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori1 View Post
Dear Bryanna and all,
Thank you! Thank you!
My story is not so different from other I have read about. I have had minor health issues for years, fatigue, lung issues and 3 summer colds in the last 5 weeks. I know now why, after a x-ray last week that my #3 tooth that had a RC many years ago has a infection in the bone above the tooth and where apex meets the bone. My very nice Dentist told me to have another root canal job and gave me there card. That night we started to figure out what to do. Found on a group site about Dr. Orlando in S.A ( he is the best) and his very informative web site. From there I found this site, thank G-D and read a lot about what Dr. Bryanna has to say about my situation. She helped me and I am very grateful to her and all of you. I am planning to meet with 2 oral surgeons ASAP.

So this is where I am holding and these are my questions.
For having my tooth extracted and the periodontal ligament scraped out.
What questions should I ask the potential surgeon and what answers do I want to hear or do not want to hear? What equipment in this day and age should they have, example a laser??? Plus any other advice you all have.
Thank you for all your time in advance.
Sincerely,
Ori
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote