View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Three months postop

I had low back surgery (decompression of trapped sciatic nerve and two level
spinal fusion) in late April 2013. I fractured my L5 vertebra which slipped forward and trapped the sciatic nerve six months prior to surgery. I tried physical therapy and nerve blocks without relief. Those six months were really rough. I'm happy to say that my surgery was successful in relieving the sciatic nerve pain and numbness in my right leg and low back pain.

I'm dealing now with some postop issues, including poor posture (bent over with difficulty straightening up), am still using a walker to get around, sometimes using a cane inside the house. I also still have some low back pain (secondary to posture?). In the mornings, I have 'nerve pain' behind my right knee which lasts for about an hour, then subsides. I am able to sleep well though. All in all, I'm very thankful and consider the surgery successful compared to the pain and disability for the six months prior. I'm wondering if others have had the same difficulty with posture and difficulty getting around. By the way, I'm not a youngster and know it takes us older folks longer to return to status quo. I will start an outpatient course of physical therapy next week, had inpatient rehab following surgery for 18 days, and a few home P.T. visits. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
patsyev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote