Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Y. Ori,

You are very welcome!!

Your questions....

<<<What about a bone graft? Does he make the call doing the extraction, ect??? >>>

DISCUSS BONE GRAFTING WITH HIM PRIOR TO THE EXTRACTION. ASK WHAT TYPE OF GRAFT MATERIAL HE USES... CADAVER, PIG, CALCIUM BASED... ETC.
GRAFTING IS DONE TO ENCOURAGE YOUR OWN BONE TO GROW INTO THE VOID FROM THE EXTRACTION. WITHOUT IT, EVERY EXTRACTION SITE LOSES ABOUT 50-60+% OF THE BONE LEVEL BY THE TIME THE SITE HAS HEALED. HOWEVER.... BONE GRAFTING SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IF THE EXISTING BONE IS HEALTHY. IT SHOULD NOT BE PLACED IN NECROTIC BONE. THUS ANOTHER REASON WHY IT IS IMPERATIVE TO REMOVE THE LIGAMENT AND ALL NECROTIC TISSUE (CYSTS) AND BONE AFTER THE TOOTH IS REMOVED. SO IN A SENSE, YES, THE OS DOES MAKE THAT CALL AT THE TIME OF THE EXTRACTION. JUST MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOU DO NOT WANT GRAFTING PLACED IN UNHEALTHY BONE.

<<< I think we should talk about this in advance with them and prices? Is this something I should do anyway??? >>

YES, MOST DEFINITELY!

<<< Do I want him to do a swipe for a culture once he is inside???>>>

IT WOULD BE IDEAL IF HE TOOK A BIOPSY SPECIMEN OF THE TOOTH (THIS WILL SHOW THE BACTERIA SPECIES THAT WAS LIVING INSIDE OF THE TOOTH AND OTHER THINGS)... A SPECIMEN OF THE TISSUE THAT HE SCRAPES OUT OF THE SOCKET.... AND A SPECIMEN OF THE BONE THAT HE SCRAPES FROM THE SOCKET AS BOTH OF THESE THING WILL ALSO SHOW THE SPECIES OF BACTERIA, ETC.

Gosh you are so on top of this stuff! How did you learn about all of this?? Do you have a background in biology or.....???

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori1 View Post
Dear Bryanna,

Thank you for all your info and your time.
I feel much better about my first meeting with one of the oral surgeon which should be in 13 hours from now with the info you provided , Thanxs again.

I have some more questions.

What about a bone graft? Does he make the call doing the extraction, ect???
I think we should talk about this in advance with them and prices? Is this something I should do anyway???

Do I want him to do a swipe for a culture once he is inside???

Sincerely,

Y.Ori
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote