View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ugh! that's SO awful when it happens!! I had it happen once when we were on a family vacation. I had very carefully counted out the right amount plus a few extras, and I kept a daily tally of the current count. I counted them at least once a day, and usually more. Then in the middle of the trip, we went to a family member's house for a party they were throwing for a friend, and that night, I got out my dose, and the pill bottle seemed emptier than it was that afternoon ... I counted them, and instead of the 35 that were in the pill bottle, there were 25. Someone stole 10 oxycontins from me at a family/close friend party! And these pills were in my purse, zipped up, in a bedroom hidden away in a corner.

I now keep my pills right on my body in situations like that, because it was horrible being on vacation and needing more than usual but having much less than usual. If I don't have my purse on me, I will even put the pills in a ziplock and put them in my pocket. I had to deal with minor withdrawal and higher pain for the remainder of the trip, and it affected every day of the vacation.

You definitely need to keep your meds in a safer place - sad but true - both on vacation and at home. I'm sorry you had to find this out the hard way I know that if my meds get stolen, my dr won't give me another prescription unless I file a police report, so I am SUPER careful with my meds.

I tried to find a safe place to keep meds at home, and I think I found a good one (let me know if you guys see a problem with it!) Definitely don't keep it in your sock drawer under the socks - that's a common place. I tried to think of something that would not get stolen if someone broke into the house, and I thought that people probably wouldn't want to steal clothing, so I keep my extra pill bottle in the pocket of a jacket hanging in my closet among the rest of my clothes. I think that people who break into a house would go for the electronic stuff, not old, used clothes, so I thought that might be a good idea.
SloRian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-05-2013)