View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouka View Post
I have not been officially diagnosed with PD as of yet. But I know I have it. I just need to see a MDS to confirm my deepest fears.
Anyway, I had 2 bananas yesterday. I tried smelling them, but I could not smell anything at all. I can smell other stuff though: mint, coffee, etc. But my sense of smell is deteriorating slowly but surely.
As for what to do, I have no clue what one can do. I am still in shock and absolutely devastated. But there's not much I can do. It will take me a little time to get used to my new life with PD.
Maybe you should wait until you actually receive a diagnosis of PD before you start your shock and devastation.

As has been stated to you already by other members, there are many causes of loss of smell (anosmia). The most common cause is severe upper respiratory infection, usually caused by a virus, which damages the layer of nerve cells. Other causes, can be head trauma, polyposis, allergic rhinitis and yes, Parkinson's Disease. But the facts are, while many, if not most, PWP have some degree of ansomia, most people with ansomia DO NOT have Parkinson's. In fact, mental disorders such as psychosis and schizophrenia are also associated with ansomia.

I previously mentioned three top hospitals in your area that have great MDS departments. They also are well known in other areas of health. With no disrespect at all, I really think you should consider speaking with someone about your emotional distress at this time. Going onto an online forum is not the place to solve severe health disorders, whether it is PD, or some other problem you may have.

Good luck!
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Stand Tall (08-06-2013)