View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heb1212 View Post
Hi, All... I've posted here many times before so I won't get into the torrid detail that so many of us, unfortunately, have. But, I did find something new in my most recent blood work that presented an interesting question and possible hypothetical. My blood work shows a herpes simplex 1 IgG indicating a past infection. I remember as a child getting many nasal and mouth cold sores. Fast forwarding many, many years now. Two years ago I had a horrible virus followed by the onset of body wide neuropathy. Though the virus has been linked to neuropathy, the body wide nature of mine is extreme. Possibly, maybe... could the prolonged nature of my battle with another virus and a lowered immune response have activated the herpes? Until this most recent blood work, I didn't even know I had had it, but I have read that it can lie dormant and later reactivate in nerve cells/axons... am I right? Does this seem like a possible, logical explanation, or am I just reaching?
I certainly do not have the knowledge to answer this but I will tell you another related story. I have hereditary neuropathy, CMT. My eldest son was diagnosed with shingles when he was 10 years old, and evidently it is very rare in children. It affected a nerve that runs from the corner of his eye to his ear and ay affect his vision or hearing some day. At this time we knew nothing of neuropathy. He us now 28, and has inherited my condition with severe symptoms for his age, he is still subject to extremely painful attacks of neuralgia. My doctor has also given me an open prescription for famvir because I too am subject to cold sores. No one else in the family seem to have either CMT, or the herpes simplex.

I do not think it is coincidental, but that the faulty wiring that causes the neuropathy is related to the virus, though I have no idea as to cause and effect, especially since ours is an inherited condition.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
heb1212 (08-06-2013)