View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ok, so I don't know if I have done this correctly, and I can't speak as to the provenance of the information, but perhaps it is worth checking out.....I don't know, and if I am totally wrong, that is fantastic and please don't shoot the messenger....

This if a forum post I have found about tecfidera:

http://www.drugs.com/answers/tecfidera-bg12-tysabri-713171.html

"I am also dealing with MS. I was asked to consider using Tysabri© nearly 2 years ago because I have such bad reactions to interferons. As I researched it, I became concerned over the history behind it regarding PML. I had my family research it before making the decision whether or not to risk PML. They all asked me not to do it! I called it the "Poison Dart Frog Serum".
As for the amount of time you should wait after recieving Tysabri©, you should ask your neurologist. No MS drugs have immediate "feel better effects." They do however, help you lessen the number of exacerbation periods. Their length and intensity can be eased as well.

Expand this post...

As for Tecfidera©... My one concern is the price tag of nearly $55,000.00 per year! I just began treatment on Tecfidera© with the understanding that it was relatively safe. I believe it is. However, a German Doctor, Dr. Jorg Shultz a neurologist at the research university in Aachen, Germany, was treating patients with psoriasis using Fumaderm©. It contains the same ingredient used for Tecfidera©, fumaric acid. One of his patients came down with PML.
He stated after Tysabri© and Tecfidera© are broken down in the body, they become essentially the same product! All of these products Fumaderm©, Tysabri©, and Tecfidera are manufactured by Biogen©! Are you surprised?
Read the article titled; "Ingredient In New MS Drug Linked To Brain Disease"
here in Drugs.com then you decide. I don't intend on taking Tecfidera© for more than 2 years in order to minimize the risk factor.
Discuss all your findings with your family. I hope this long answer helps you make a decision. May God bless you. "

http://www.drugs.com/answers/tecfide...ri-713171.html

See what you think, decide what you may.... it is all a 'crap shoot' anyway. We all do what we need to do to get through.

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 Craniotomy to clip brain aneurysm 2004. ITP 1993.
Lynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (09-08-2013), ewizabeth (08-28-2014), Kitty (08-06-2013), SallyC (08-06-2013)