Old 08-07-2013, 02:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Y. Ori,

You are very welcome!!

Your questions....

<<<What about a bone graft? Does he make the call doing the extraction, ect??? >>>

DISCUSS BONE GRAFTING WITH HIM PRIOR TO THE EXTRACTION. ASK WHAT TYPE OF GRAFT MATERIAL HE USES... CADAVER, PIG, CALCIUM BASED... ETC.
GRAFTING IS DONE TO ENCOURAGE YOUR OWN BONE TO GROW INTO THE VOID FROM THE EXTRACTION. WITHOUT IT, EVERY EXTRACTION SITE LOSES ABOUT 50-60+% OF THE BONE LEVEL BY THE TIME THE SITE HAS HEALED. HOWEVER.... BONE GRAFTING SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IF THE EXISTING BONE IS HEALTHY. IT SHOULD NOT BE PLACED IN NECROTIC BONE. THUS ANOTHER REASON WHY IT IS IMPERATIVE TO REMOVE THE LIGAMENT AND ALL NECROTIC TISSUE (CYSTS) AND BONE AFTER THE TOOTH IS REMOVED. SO IN A SENSE, YES, THE OS DOES MAKE THAT CALL AT THE TIME OF THE EXTRACTION. JUST MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOU DO NOT WANT GRAFTING PLACED IN UNHEALTHY BONE.

<<< I think we should talk about this in advance with them and prices? Is this something I should do anyway??? >>

YES, MOST DEFINITELY!

<<< Do I want him to do a swipe for a culture once he is inside???>>>

IT WOULD BE IDEAL IF HE TOOK A BIOPSY SPECIMEN OF THE TOOTH (THIS WILL SHOW THE BACTERIA SPECIES THAT WAS LIVING INSIDE OF THE TOOTH AND OTHER THINGS)... A SPECIMEN OF THE TISSUE THAT HE SCRAPES OUT OF THE SOCKET.... AND A SPECIMEN OF THE BONE THAT HE SCRAPES FROM THE SOCKET AS BOTH OF THESE THING WILL ALSO SHOW THE SPECIES OF BACTERIA, ETC.

Gosh you are so on top of this stuff! How did you learn about all of this?? Do you have a background in biology or.....???BS"D

Dear Bryanna,
You asked me about my background... I have a good teacher, YOU!!! Almost everything that I have learned up to now is from you, thanxs!!! I read a lot of your answers and advice to people that where or are in a similar situation as myself.

I hope you are here for me because I still need your help.

This is where I am holding. I went and saw two oral surgeons. 0ne was a #8 on a scale of 1 to 10 and the other ??? The 8 is a maybe. he said that I have inflammation and it is not an active infection??? I told him I really want to extract the tooth. He feels that that is way too evasive and think that the best thing for me to do is apicoectomy. He said for him extraction and cleaning out the socket is much easier for him to do and his price for that is 1/3 the price of an apico if I do not need a bone Graft and double the appt. time. He says his concentration for the apico is really intense. He goes in through the gum and cleans it out and cut the top of the apex and seals it. He said if he go in and he feels it needs to be pulled he will do it on the spot. His opinion is, less evasive is the key. Bridges or implants also have pros and cons. At the end of the day he says it is my call. he e-mailed me what types of bone grafting material he uses and his price, collagen based bone filling augmentation material and or collagen of spongious bone granulate and 10% porcine collagen fibres. What are your thoughts on these materials and also his price for the grafting at the time of either procedures if it is needed is a little less then double the cost of the extraction, it seem a little high, what are your thoughts???
I am going to attach a x-ray from around 2 weeks ago. Maybe you could tell me your thoughts???
Sincerely Yours,
Ori
Attached Thumbnails
Help me how do I determine which oral surgeon to choose?-image000lsmall-jpg  
Ori1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote