View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrae View Post
What a friggin hassle (that’s an understatement) for you Painman. Just what you need, a little more stress. It seems as though everything is a fight. Fight the doctors to listen, fight insurance to pay, fight the stress and pain from fighting all the damn time. The healthcare system in the U.S. has become that of a third world country. The costs that are billed for care are obscene, if not laughable. Bram is right, there’s no money in a cure. It doesn’t matter if it’s cancer or CRPS.

I am a casualty of being self-employed, and premiums became out of my reach when the economy went in the toilet back in ’08. We held on until 2010 until premiums for JUST ME were over $1k per month! Right, I can totally afford that, and the co-pays, Rx, etc. I am now at the mercy of my state’s system. I waited a full year to see a neurologist. I had access to a primary care doctor right away, who at my first visit said I was out of his scope of practice and wouldn’t so much as prescribe gabapentin. Can you believe that? Like I’m looking to take anti-seizure medication for the hell of it. He ended my visit by telling me I need health insurance. Wow, he’s a really smart guy, hu?

I would file for disability, God knows I qualify, but since I was self-employed, my accountant didn’t tell me that because I am self-employed I should have filed taxes a certain way to be covered. If I had filed taxes differently, I would have been covered. So basically it’s like I didn’t work for 10 years and I no longer have work credits. That too is laughable. I have worked harder being self-employed than I have worked at anything in my life. I have worked since I was a young grade school kid throwing newspapers. All I can think is all the years I paid in. I want my money back!!

Anyway, I hope you are somehow able to get the help you need. I feel for your situation.
Vrae, that is a very bad place to find oneself! Like I stated in my earlier post, whether one likes the idea of Obamacare or not, that really is not the issue, but it could work in your behalf. Pre-conditions eliminated, affordable rates and subsidized if need be. But the issue could be what an earlier poster had stated in that many doctors may not except the coverage. That can happen but what may come out of it is if millions are effected by this behavior, pressure to change the system quickly could take place also. At one point we lost our coverage because of the economy and I had to pay out of pocket for my wife's care. We came within a hair's width of losing everything. I contacted my congressman whose staff helped us keep our home by keeping the dogs off our backs and sped up my wife's SSDI, which took 3+ years to acquire. The stress was horrible.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote