View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Stacy,

The vitality test is called the cold test. All you need is an ice cube to perform it. There is also another test called a pulp test which is a little battery operated hand held device that can measure the vitality of the tooth. It is not 100% accurate.

I cannot tell you about this particular filling as I cannot see you clinically and you have not posted a xray. The filling could be deep and irritating the pulp... it could be fractured... it could be too high in your bite as you move your jaw from side to side.

Having a chronic TMJ issue tends to make me think that your bite changes according to the level of inflammation in your joint and ligament. Anything that causes you stress will tighten that ligament and alter your bite even more.

Did you have any problems with that tooth prior to the new filling being placed? What filling material was in there originally?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy_11 View Post
Hi-

I had a composite filling in tooth #3. I was never advised the problems which could arise from this type of filling. I did not experience pain after the novocaine wore off....a few days later I did..so I went back to the dentist at about 3 weeks post filling, he did a bite test and said it was OK, he rubbed a blob of fluoride on it, and said to wait a while. That if it still bothered me, he would remove some of this filling , place some type of desensitizing filling in.

**Of course my dental insurance ceased at the end of June.

I have experienced so much pain, to heat, after I eat the articulating lower tooth hurts, my cheeks hurt as well as my mandible & maxilla. I went back to him a few days ago,5-6 weeks post original filling, He took an Xray and said it looked good. Then he referred me to an endodontist, saying "the endo had special tools to determine whether the nerve was necrotic ( and how much) or if it was fine. If the nerve was necrotic, I would require a root canal, which he wanted the endodontist to perform. As I do not have insurance, I know this is going to cost me quite a bit~ $1000+.

After reading some of the posts on this forum, root canal frightens me. I already have had 5-6 TMJ operations(w/impants) and I can barely open my mouth...so I am a fanatic about cleaning my teeth & flossing...which is why I was surprised that I had a cavity. At most of my biannual check ups, they hardly had to remove any plaque.

I am also a little ticked off, well a lot, at this dentist as I was a loyal customer for over 10 years..he knows my dental insurance ended.

Does this vitality "tool" exist? Is this normal?

Stacy
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-14-2013)