View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Since I have only been a member here a few days, I thought I would provide a few details so I (and anyone else) can track my progress, if any, as I will post my results. I was diagnosed with "mild peripheral neuropathy probably due to alcohol use" in February , 2013. I was advised to "limit drinking" or to avoid alcohol completely. I continued to drink, tho not quite as much, and my symptoms are somewhat worse now. So I have embraced ABSTINENCE for the umpteenth time. I don't "limit drinking" real well, I "avoid drinking" better.

(Although, I did read somewhere that PN typically gets worse before it gets better because the dymyelinating process continues for a time. I have no idea where exactly I read that, and don't know if it's true. Does anyone have a take on that? In any event, it is Abstinence for this guy, and posting here will help with that.)

My major complaint is numbness in the feet, and fatigue. I feel best in the morning up awakening, when the numbness is usually limited to the soles of my feet. But it doesn't take much time and much movement for the numbness to spread throughout my feet and up the lower leg. Some days, especially if my day at work has been full of stress, my upper legs are very "uncomfortable", but I wouldn't exactly call it pain. More like "discomfort." I find it somewhat difficult to explain. I take Ibuprofen but am concerned about the effects that has on my stomach. Fortunately, I don't have any serious, debilitating pain and I am not limited much in movement. Less than a year ago I actually participated in a Zumba class tho I doubt if I could do that now. At the present time, it is not uncommon for me to come home from work and collapse on the couch, sleep a few hours, and then go to bed. I try to walk for exercise, but frankly, it seems that actually makes me more fatigued. I walk a flight of about 20 stairs many times a day at work, and that may be all the exercise I need at the moment.

I have started to take Doctor's Best Benfotiamine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Co-Q10, and Turmeric. Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Icehouse (08-10-2013), PamelaJune (04-01-2017)