View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonlime View Post
Laura-This is the best news I have read in a long time! I am so hopeful for you!
You are the reason I came to this site. I haven't posted in a long time for many
reasons, but this was such a great message that I had to let you know that I am
thinking of you and praying for you!
While researching, I read that one of the DDS management procedures was to decrease L-dopa. Is this something they mentioned to you? I hope that you are able to tolerate whatever lies ahead so that you can find a definitive answer! Know that you have a strong support system behind you!

Take care!
Cynthia

Also wanted to say good luck to RLMSI - thinking of you too! 😊
Cynthia,

What a nice message! Thank you. I vacillate between cautious optimism and telling myself that I subconsciously downplayed certain symptoms, so they did not have the full picture. I know that the DATscan diagnoses nothing, but at least it may better equip me to accept things anfpursue the right course.

The doctor suggested that I work with my local neuro to very slowly start tapering off meds. That should be a hoot as I cannot imagine his reaction to the letter from the NIH. I do know that I will take my time with it. At least as long in months as it has been years. I was told it would be really difficult and to adopt a hobby or exercise regime; something to focus on other than how lousy I feel. It was also suggested to just take it day by day and try to focused on the larger goal. What makes this even more a challenge is that I am a single mom to a 4 year old boy.

Interestingly, in referring to med addiction, I had a funny thing happen to show how are mind works in keeping us hooked. I forgot to pack my Requip, and I was so focused on logistics and the screening I did not notice for three days. I suffered no adverse effects, and no decline in motor symptoms. In the past, I have had to go without it for a day or two because my pharmacy was out of stock, and I would monitor the clock anticipating some sort of negative reaction, so sure enough a few hours past my dose time my brain and body would oblige with a deep off period. When I was blissfully unaware, I was fine. At first I wanted to discount the DDS when they said you think that you need more and more meds to feel normal I thought no way it is because of drug tolerance; what I think has nothing to do with it. Well, the Requip story shows just how important psychological dependence is.

As for other aspects of DDS; fortunately I had a short run in with compulsive purchases and binge eating (the eating was way out of character for me), so my life was not upended. The escalated dosing; the doctors believe actually make me think that I am worse off than I really am with my symptoms and doctors
then just feed into it by adding on more meds so it all becomes a vicious cycle.

So, I am happy to report that I am now agonist free going on five days now. I will start tapering down Amantadine, and use the Comtan to counter lowering levodopa levels. It will be interesting to see how things look.
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lemonlime (08-10-2013), Thelma (08-10-2013)