View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 03:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Totally understand!

Hi Vaxn8,

If you're being advised by your cardiologist not to go this route I sure can understand your trepidation of going through all that only to eventually have to have it removed (I assume - or just turned off - what's the point of that??).

However, I also want to interject that some folks out here have had absolutely awesome results from the SCS system...I'm one, for sure. I've now had my permanent in for 1 year (this month) and couldn't be happier. Overall I'm experiencing about 90% pain reduction where the pain is neuropathy and about 70% where there is arthritis pain - I'm beyond ecstatic!

Every patient is different - and so is every doctor. I happen to have an amazing pain med doc and she is extremely conservative in her approach. She absolutely will not do the SCS paddle as she had too many patients that had problems with them early in her career. As I've read through the posts out here it has seemed to me that the majority of the 'horror stories' have been folks with the paddle...I hasten to admit I could be completely wrong about that! I have 2 leads with 8 contacts per lead - both on same side of spine but one with a slightly different angle at the end. She did this with the idea that down the road if I have chronic back pain or pain in my other leg - there are already leads in place and we could just simply program them to activate to stimulate other nerve roots.

Anyway, my point being this: Please don't judge whether you go forward with this solely based on those that have had negative experiences - many of us have had amazingly, life-changing positive results. Now, if it's about a pacemaker - I would submit that's a totally different situation and I can't give any advice on that. What does your pain doc say about what the cardiologist is saying?

DFW_Andy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (08-11-2013)