View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 04:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How do I Know if it is Alcohol Neuropathy??

PLEASE HELP! I have been reading these threads for a few weeks now, but not quite sure if I have found the answer to the title question-how do I know if my neuropathy is alcohol related?? My doctors say no since all my blood work comes back great except the Sjogren's antibody testing.

I am underweight and have some nutritional issues to work on, plus I am hypothyroid and have another autoimmune condition called Sjogrens in addition to peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet plus being cold all the time. I quit drinking six months ago because I felt it could be a factor. I was probably drinking almost a bottle of wine every night for a few years!

I did not notice a huge difference. So in between, on occasion, I started to have a small vodka gimlet or half a glass of wine. It seems like two-three days later I lose my appetite and my face is a bit swollen. It is hard to tell whether this is alcohol related or not since my meds keep changing. Despite drinking or not, I constantly have reddish circles under my eyes. This can be a Sjogrens symptom as can the neuropathy.

I am just curious as to whether this sounds like alcohol neuropathy or not? There are so many factors to consider for me...underweight/nutritional, Sjogrens, etc. Would it take two-three days to have an effect?? And could one drink make a difference like that? And would the loss of appetite/red eye circles have anything to do with it??

Thanks in advance!