15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart swimming and pool comments

Thanks very much, Mari.

Thank you for understanding.

---------------
On lane sharing:

I looked at lane-sharing etiquette a lot on youtube. I might have to redo the search in a different language to see if I get more insight as to what is done here, but I learned enough about what is done in the U.S. to realize that, hey, this is not some totally weird thing.

I also found out there are different ways to do it, and different degrees of etiquette. One video says you must get consent from the other swimmer. Another says swimmers will often not want to stop their workout and that's ok and tells you how to proceed, i.e., the assumption is that lane-sharing is always acceptable. The guy that got into the lane with me observed what this second video said. He followed the exact steps actually, but basically the idea is to be slow and cautious about it, make sure the other swimmer knows you are there and stick to your side.

I have lots of doubts about different things. For instance, I change strokes. This is not a strange thing either -- this is recommended for exercising. Yet, I did not see one single, solitary other person in there, at any point, doing anything but freestyle. That is the easiest stroke for sharing lanes but I do not intend to swim all freestyle.

You mention picking someone with similar speed. Well, I did not pick who shared my lane. I do not know that I'd feel comfortable entering an occupied lane. If I continue, I'll have to figure that out. I do keep seeing references to slow and fast lanes on internet though. Well, I saw no indication at this place that certain lanes were "faster" than others. I can ask about that probably. I need to be on the slowest possible side if there is one.

A serious problem of mine... I do not have good balance which means I suck at swimming in a straight line. That sounds pathetic because it is pathetic. But that is why I worry more about crashing into someone than about being crashed into. It also means that, if sharing, I must constantly check where I am and where the other person is, because I stray from my orientation in the lane too easily.

Focusing on relative position so much distracts me from focusing on my stroke. Bad thing, because cleaning up the strokes is important for 1) healthy movements, 2) a good workout 3) implicitly straighter swimming!

---------------
On the foot pool:

That is so majorly gross. The memory of wading through it has sort of haunted me. I do have an idea for a post-correction (besides washing at home as you suggest). I was thinking of bringing a travel bottle of disinfecting detergent washing my feet & top part of flip-flops when I rinse after the pool. I can probably find an essential oil that is antimycotic to add to the det. Hopefully an oil we already have at home. Still, the whole concept of that foot pool does gross me out big time, even if I can correct for it afterwards.

---------------
On the changing:

I mostly do the "look stupid and take measures to not be nekkid" approach. That still involves underwear exposure and stuff, or I might not be completely but somewhat exposed... can deal with that. Also I show up with my suit underneath, so I only have to change when leaving. If I get too bothered, I will forgo that and keep a wet swimsuit underneath. Yeah, less than ideal. Can't think of anything in this experience that is ideal though.

Another thing about the changing rooms. Actually 2.

1. Children. Last time, a grandma was in there with her grandSON who was about 5. The boy would not take his eyes off me. I fiddled with my stuff until they were ready -- and they took their bleeding time. The kid stared at me continously. No other women were in there. I do not know if that grandma totally expected me to go ahead and change in front of the kid, or what. Even if I were ok changing with other women, it seems hugely inappropriate to do so in front of a 5 year old male child, but that may not be the case in this culture. I mean many women go topless beaches but I've not seen full nudity at "normal" beaches. A different view is taken to nudity overall though, so who can tell what the expectations are. Anyway, I was upset by the kid being in there. I also felt like the stupid woman should have reprimanded him for staring, regardless of what I was doing or not doing.

2. Maintenance. While fiddling with things, I suddenly heard an adult male voice. They are repainting the changing rooms and he was showing someone something about a color. A female attendant was with him. She probably checked nobody was undressed before entering, but I was standing there in a dripping bathing suit and towel. For all she knew, I could have stripped nekkid the very next second. That was creepy.

Sorry for the super long reply. I am going to go off and do something different for a while now.

Thank you for taking the time to reply before. Your post was comforting.

waves

Last edited by waves; 08-11-2013 at 05:56 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-11-2013), Brokenfriend (08-12-2013), Dmom3005 (08-12-2013), Mari (08-12-2013), mymorgy (08-12-2013)