View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Hello Vaxn8

Welcome to the forum!

You've come to a great place for support and information!
If you are feeling rushed into this, that's a huge red flag. Too many Dr's are pushing for these units way too soon. These are supposed to be considered when most other modalities of pain management have not worked.
You bring up a good point about the pacemaker. I'm not sure on this either, like Andy says, it's two completely different situations.
Doctors make a ridiculous amount of money when they do these implants. On top of the usual surgery costs, they get a huge kickback $ from the manufacturers. In some cases it is very clear that 'greed' is the driving force that has them pushing the patient for these too soon.
I'll bet my bottom dollar that the reason your Dr doesn't even want to consider the pump is because it is a HUGE commitment between him and the patient. When I inquired about the pump, my Dr said...and I quote "NO Way will I do pain pumps because that means we have to get married" . Meaning of course, the refilling of the reservoir and the constant monitoring it would take.
On the contrary with the SCS, in most cases the doctor inserts the unit and leaves the follow up care to the reps of the manufacturers.

I usually don't spout negativity like this because there are SO MANY 'Good' healthcare providers who truly DO care about their patients, such as what Andy shared. I too am very happy with my SCS of 3 yrs. The soothing stimulation (like a cat purring ) does wonders in covering over the horrible burning neuropathy in both legs. And as you read thru the threads down below where the more active posting is (we are up in the 'stickies' right now) you'll get a wonderful scope of testimonies, both good and not so good experiences.

This is a huge decision and it is your body. Please don't let ANYbody pressure you or make you feel rushed.

It's great to have you here! If you want to start a new 'thread', just exit out of this dialogue and you'll see a "New Thread" on the left side of the screen to click on. That way your post will be seen much better and you'll get a lot of responses. As it is right now, we are posting on the tail end of a different thread.
Just ask if you have questions on how to get around. People are very helpful and caring here at NT.

Caring,
Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote