View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown Am I reading this right -- I'm doomed to PN basically forever?

I read through the first 6 pages of this thread & finally had to stop to ask this question...

Am I basically doomed to PN by the combination of chemotherapy (Taxotere & Taxol), antibiotics (Cipro & Flagyl at various times), along with NSAIDs?

As part of my treatment regime for breast cancer, I was given Cipro at least twice (for almost a month following surgery) while also taking various NSAIDs to combat inflammation, swelling, and associated pain. One of the times I know I was on Cipro & NSAIDs was fairly soon after my chemo-induced PN began & caused my chemo regime to end earlier than planned. Since that surgery, I've had all sorts of nerve problems including TOS. Is it possible (probable) that my continued nerve problems is due to the mixing of these drugs? Would nerves already damaged by chemo be more susceptible to damage from these other drugs?

Cancer really did ruin my life. :-(

My last 4 years:
7/7/09 Diagnosed with Stage 2B BRCA1 breast cancer in axillary tail of left breast while 20 weeks pregnant by excisional biopsy (lumpectomy) without anesthesia
7/31/09 port placed, started FAC chemo (with steroids)/1st FMLA leave granted
11/27/09 delivered healthy baby girl (8#4oz) (antibiotics & anti-inflammatory/opiate given given)
1/2/10 began Taxotere chemotherapy with steroids
1/16/10 switch from Taxotere to Taxol (with steroids) because of PN & slight allergic rx
1/30/10 all chemo halted because of worsening PN & allergic rx
2/19/10 bilateral radical mastectomy, skin & nipple sparing with expander implant reconstruction, port removed (antibiotics & anti-inflammatory/opiate given given)
41/10 returned to work with FMLA approval for flare-ups (continued until dismissal)
7/2/10 oophorectomy & implant exchange surgery cancelled due to low neutrophils
8/28/10 tubes & ovaries removed, implant exchanged cancelled due to excessive internal bleeding requiring 2 transfusions (antibiotics & anti-inflammatory/opiate given given)
10/2/10 emergency hysterectomy due to abscess on uterus from previous surgery (antibiotics & anti-inflammatory/opiate given given)
2/17/11 implant exchange surgery (antibiotics & anti-inflammatory/opiate given given)
4/?/11 began seeing a pain management dr (what a crock)
10/29/11 autologous TRAM flap reconstruction/implants removed (antibiotics & anti-inflammatory/opiate given given)
11/15/11 began physical therapy
12/20/11 totaled vehicle due to pain/loss of grip from TOS
12/?/11 EMG & vascular studies show brachial plexopathy -- PT continued
5/14/12 1st rib resection for TOS (antibiotics & anti-inflamatory/opiate given)
6/2/12 left lung partially collapsed due to infection (antibiotics, & anti-inflamatory/opiate given)
8/?/12 sent by employer for 2nd opinion = same diagnosis
12/31/12 PT discontinued due to insurance & nothing further to be taught & increasing harassment at work
1/11/13 dismissed after almost 9 years of commended work due to absences & falsely accused work difficulties/inadequacies
4/15/13 SSDI application filed with lawyer
8/10/13 General Medical Exam ordered by SSDI
Biologybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote