View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am not able to walk on a treadmill at all, my balance and coordination are too poor. My podiatrist spent 30 minutes trying to adjust it so he could do a gait analysis, to no avail.
I am able to walk and even do moderate hiking though. I find asphalt and cement increase the pain in my legs later, but walking in the woods on soft ground does not. I am on heavy pain meds, or I could not do it, but my pain levels are definitely lower when I walk, and as mentioned, the benefits go far beyond the effort involved. Mood improvement and a sense of accomplishment being two big ones. Even if I am useless the rest of the day the walk is a highlight. I actually am training a German shepherd puppy to be my walking buddy. I have a waist leash for her since I walk with two poles. My husband is usually with me, but I wanted her along especially for those days when he can't come. I have these visions of her rescuing me if I fall by getting a ranger....everyone needs a little fantasy, right?
I know not everyone can do it but it is really great if you can. I have small and large fiber neuropathy with muscle loss- CMT. Most of my pain is not in the feet, although I have that as well, but in my legs, seeming to come from the bones but more likely related to the muscle weakness. I was a big, strong, woman, 6'2", so have been able to keep moving at least for now. Steps are getting to be too much, though.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Stacy2012 (08-14-2013)