View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 10:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Question About Pelvic Fixation / Screw Removal For Pain

I was just wondering if there is anyone on the forum that has had a lumbar fusion with pelvic fixation? If so, did the screw become painful and then have to be removed? Could you give me an idea of a time frame for length of surgery and whether or not this actually helped with your pain after the surgery?

I went today for an injection into the sacroiliac joint. If this proves to relieve the pain on the right side of my lower back then my surgeon thinks we should remove the screw that was placed into the pelvis for fixation during the lumbar fusion. Though the surgeon told me it might take two days for the injection to begin to work, I feel no different tonight...

I am not anxious either to allow yet another surgery. I was told though by the surgeon that did my cervical fusion that the screws into the pelvis break at two years so it might be a good reason to have it removed. I have not been able to find any literature supporting that statement though.

If anyone has any information about pelvic fixation I would appreciate your posting it to the forum.

8/17/05 - Cervical Fusion - C4-5, 5-6, 6-7 - Anterior and Posterior Fusion with plate in front and rods and screws in the rear - Corpectomy at C-4 and C-5 and microdisectomy at C6-7.

1/4/05 - Lumbar Laminectomy -L3, L4, L5, S1, S2 Obliteration of Tarlov Cyst at S2. Failed surgery!
GJZH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote