View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Cyberphonics,

Regarding the "clearer" crown... are you referring to a CEREC crown? They go by various names depending on the material.... LAVA, VitaCAD, Empress, etc. These are often fabricated right in the dental office. They are made of high strength dental ceramic, composite material or a mixture of composite and zirconia. These, like all porcelain (non metal) and zirconium crowns, can be seen through on a dental xray.

The head dentist in your dental office is the "director" of the franchise. He will remain there unless he sells the business. When dentists buy these franchises, the purpose is to temporarily employ "cheap and inexperienced" help of which he can make money off of each procedure. These places often employ dentists who either just moved in to the area, or just got out of dental school, or those who have a shady background and may be trying to get back on their feet. The hired help often leave as soon as they can acquire some experience and a better paying job. It is run very differently than a private practice. What draws people to this type of office is... their fees may be a bit lower (you get what you pay for), they usually offer lots of hours and they are conveniently located.

You mentioned using mouthwash. Check the ingredients in the one that you are using. Any mouthwash that contains alcohol, preservatives, chemicals, and dyes actually will do more harm than good to the teeth and gums. These products cannot differentiate between the good and bad bacteria so they kill off everything which causes an unhealthy balance.They also dry out the oral tissue, reduce the flow of saliva and predispose the user to decay and gum disease. Mouthwash is not necessary to use as there is no hygiene benefit to using it. Those that contain fluoride are actually toxic to the digestive system and even the label will warn... not to be swallowed.

The best oral hygiene regimen is simply.... thorough tooth brushing with a soft bristle or electric tooth brush twice a day with a non harsh tooth paste, floss thoroughly once a day at night, and use a tongue scraper at night. Combined with a nutritious diet and healthy lifestyle are the keys to good oral health!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberphonics View Post
Great! Thanks so much, I'm not sure what the "clearer" crown is called, I saw an article about it from a few months ago stating that it was just now starting to be used which is why I said "new" but I couldn't find the article again and didn't remember what I was searching for initially when I found it. It may just be a new version of something already out like you said, I don't know. I'll keep looking.

My concern is finding a better dentist, not the cost. I have good insurance as I'm government, I just don't want to make decisions based on the assumption that everything I could get will be covered since anything that isn't I'll have to pay for myself and I'm aware of how pricey that can get because I had to do that for years. I don't recommend it lol

I'm glad to hear that these kind of issues are common to that kind of office. I never realized until recently that this kind of set up is called a clinic rather than just being an office where more than one dentist works out of. The service wasn't like this years ago when I first started going. It seems like everyone except then head dentist has been replaced. I checked reviews out of curiosity to see if anyone else feels like it's declined since then and the few I found stated exactly that even naming some of the good dentists who used to be there by name so I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

I appreciate the help and I know a lot of people who don't take care of their teeth. Even came across someone on a board who said they only brush twice a week. Yikes! I couldn't imagine. But I take care of my teeth and I'm as healthy as an ox since I've been an athlete since my early teens and maintain the same regimens even though I don't play anymore. My annual check ups and tests always show what good shape I'm in inside and out which makes my primary physician happy lol

I did have one brief problem with a drop in vitamin D when I had to spend a few months working out of sunlight which I thought could have weakened my teeth but doc cleared that it's back to normal and that happened long after these problems started anyhow.

I don't drink or smoke, I don't eat sweets or chew gum, I drink soda maybe once a week and when I do it's only a can of all natural caffeine free ginger ale that I follow up with water, I brush two to three times a day depending on how often I've eaten and use my mouthwash each time, I floss daily with string floss and a few times a week will end the night with my waterpik, my diet is mainly fish vegetables and fruit with the occasional barbecued meats (mmm lol).

So I feel like there's only so much I can do on my end. I didn't have all these dental problems before seeing this new set of dentists so I'm inclined to believe it's more their fault than mine. Which I wouldn't think as easily if not for all the things they've done wrong with my dental work (and however you slice it, wrong isn't an opinion, when something that's supposed to lasts years falls out the next day etc and the head dentist has to bring you back in to have them do it properly, that's not me just imagining that someone messed up lol).

So even though I'm doing my final follow up with the head dentist who's the only one I trust at this point, believe me that my priority has been tracking down a new dentist who will look after my teeth the way my old ones used to. I hope everyone dealing with this is able to find and hold on to great dentists for as long as they can, it really makes a difference and can affect your quality of life.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and concern. I wish everyone here the best of luck with their teeth and their health in general. Like the Trekkies say live long and prosper haha
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-14-2013)