View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Concerned parent

I had originally posted in the TBI thread but I think this would be better in BPD now. Here's a quick summary:

I'm a concerned parent of a 25 year old son who was diagnosed with ADD when he was 6 and was on medication for that until his Senior year of high school.

He was attacked in 2007 and received two skull fractures. One in front and one in back. He was airlifted to a hospital after having a series of seizures at the scene of the attack and in the hospital. He was in a drug induced coma for about 4 days in the Neurological ICU while they ran tests and waited for the brain swelling to come down. On the 5th day they had him out of the coma and on the six day he walked on his own and they sent him home.

Since that time he has lived on his own off and on. We sensed by the group of people he was hanging with that he was getting involved with drugs. He hasn't been able to keep relationshps for more than a year and a half.

Fast forward to last year. We noticed he was pulling away from family and friends more and more. He was becoming more agitated and his personality was beginning to change.

Now fast forward to this year. Our concerns for his well being were increasing. He was becoming more agitated and could fly off the handle quickly. (Not physically violent) He has been involved in a couple of fender benders within the past couple of months. Then in early July I received a call from the police and asked to come get him. He was also sending me text messages begging me to come get him and save him. When I arrived he was sitting in the dark and was extremely paranoid.

I took him to our home and he was scared that people were surrounding the house, on our roof and people are staring at him. I took him to the ER and he did have high THC levels. He went into counseling and therapy with a psychologist.

What we have learned is that he has been in pain with headaches and body aches for several years. He has been self medicating with marijuana and tried pottpourri for a few months earlier this year.

Since he has been with us for the past six weeks his paranoia has reduced some but his level of agitation has NOT. He is difficult to be around because he feels he is perfect and everyone else is imperfect and he seems to take pleasure in pointing out perceived inperfections and demeaning others. THis is very far from his normal personality. There are also certain subjects you avoid and everyone is walking on egg shells around him.

Now in his most recent counseling session it is been suggested his agitation, mood swings, headaches and other pains may all be related to TBI. That his self medication with marijuana was his way with dealing with it all.

Now within the past couple of days we learned my neice who passed away in July had been diagnosed with BPD and was on Lithium. We were not aware of this and didn't know of any family history of BPD or any other issues.

At this point we are tired and confused. My wife and I plan to spend one night away from home this weekend for our anniversary and to meet with my brother who lost his daughter last month.
"Thanks for this!" says:
anneo59 (08-30-2013), Dmom3005 (08-16-2013), Mari (08-15-2013)