View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Heather,I am so very sorry, I wish you and your daughter the best.

I can totally understand why your daughter is sad and withdrawn. I didn't get rsd until I was 30, and even as an adult I found it quite difficult to be my normal self. About the only thing I can say is that eventually, she'll come to terms with it. The pain doesn't always get better, but her ability to cope with it will.

Until she sees the pain dr.s, there are a few things you can do to help her feel better. They may seem silly and minor, but they DO help.

First off, hot soaky baths. A lot of people here use Epsom salts. There are also several types of "aches and pains" bath oils that help me a lot. Village Naturals has a good one that I use regularly. It is available at Wal-Mart, and it's reasonably priced. You only add 1/3 a cup, so a bottle goes pretty far.

Second, I find a heating pad to be very helpful. My rsd is in both legs and still spreading, so I have to pick and choose which area I want to cover with the pad, lol.

Third, try things like aromatherapy, massage, etc. Certain scents make people feel better, brighten their mood. Lavender is relaxing, will help her sleep and also remain calm when the pain levels get too high. Sage bundles are very helpful if the mood has turned sad, or if there is an oppressive pall over the house. I also use orange blossom or green tea scents... not sure what they are supposed to help with, I just know the smell makes me feel better, lol.

Also, try asking the Dr. she has been seeing up to now if he/she can prescribe LidoDerm patches. I don't know what part of your daughter's body is affected, or if it's full-body rsd... but use the patches on the worst areas. They are non-addictive, of course, so they can be used frequently.

Mainly, she needs her support system back. A teenager cut off from her friends is a sad thing. Even if she is attending school and seeing them there, it's not the same. She has to remain strong at school, can't be seen as weak, wandering around crying and being pitiful. I think we all know just how cruel teens can be, picking off the weaker ones like a lion culling a herd of wildebeests. Call the parents if need be, or ask the kids directly... but having her friends come over and cry with her, laugh and joke with her, might be the best medicine of all.

Hugs for you both (being a mom who is helpless in such a situation is a very hard thing to cope with, make sure you take care of yourself, too)

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Djhasty (03-18-2013)