View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Originally Posted by marion06095
It isn’t that I don’t like people. It is just that they require so much energy. Plus I’m not really used to being with people any more.

Second that.

The energy that it takes to socialize is usually too much for me. I can barely make it through a work day of seeing people.

I have one friend who is also an associate practitioner at the office. We get together around once a week to defrag. She knows my situation, is understanding and knows when to leave me be.
Family is too far away to drop in but I call my father once a week on the phone.
Two years ago, I wasn't invited to the family reunion and this year they invited me but then changed the date without telling me, so I missed it. I think it is because they do all sorts of sporting activities and I just can't any more, so they probably figure it is best that I not be there making others uncomfortable. I have to agree on that.

Same with the friends that I used to "play with". This body just can't do the stuff that they do, so after several "Thanks for the invite, but I'd better not...", the invitations stopped and the friendships dwindled away.

Instead I've found ways to keep myself entertained and out of the dumps. Things like writing, doing proessional consultations and when the body is up for it, gardening in the summer and plowing snow for others in the winter (my truck is all rigged out for it).

I also treat the body like the child that I never had, so I and it never forget that I am not my body or its ailments. That certainly keeps some humor sources always at the ready because it is a needy thing and I'm not overly accommodating. That combination means that some times I talk to my body out loud as a separate entity when I'm alone; usually attempting to strike bargains with it. I've even threatened to get another one if it doesn't get with the program .

Hopefully I won't loose perspective at some point and start talking out loud to it in public . So far so good on that front as I'm pretty careful about appearing as "normal" as is possible when out and about; which is a challenge unto itself at times.

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (08-15-2013), Debbie D (08-17-2013), Mariel (08-22-2013), marion06095 (08-16-2013), SallyC (08-15-2013)