View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you. That was an eye opener. Sorry for the confusion on BPD vs BP

From the list they provided in the article (- Fast speech, non-stop talking
- Fixation on self-harm or suicide- Substance misuse- Fidgeting, playing with hair or skin- Complaining constantly- Being irritable or aggressive)

He does show several of those characteristics. Substance misuse, complaining constantly, being irritable. He is NOT suicidal or physically aggressive.

But as an example. He helped install a part on our car last night. As he was working on it I complimented him about how well he was doing with the car and how quickly he was getting the job done. He just grumbled and told me I was in the way and to leave him alone.

About 20 minutes later he was sitting on the couch and asked loudly...'So, is anyone going to THANK ME for fixing the car?"

I pointed out that I had complimented him and tried to thank him while he was working on the car. He then went on and on about nobody ever appreciating what he does and how he is smarter and better than any of us. That lasted for about 30 minutes non-stop.

It's very tiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Hi,

It is good that he is home with you and getting treatment.
A psychiatrist and a neurologist can help with diagnosis.

(For point of clarification:
BPD usually stands for Borderline Personality Disorder
BP usually stands for Bipolar Disorder)

Sometimes the exact diagnosis about how much is TBI and how much might be bipolar is not hugely important because medications that are used for TBI are also used for Bipolar.
For example Anticonvulsants (antiepileptic drugs) are used for both.

Agitation is a horrible thing to have to deal with. Push the doctors to get him the right medication for this.
Does he have agitated depression? Here is a description:
http://www.helium.com/items/2174987-...ted-depression
Has any one discussed that he might have PTSD (Posttraumatic stress disorder)? They can test for that.

Mari
"Thanks for this!" says:
anneo59 (08-30-2013), Dmom3005 (08-16-2013), Mari (08-16-2013)