Thread: Is this CRPS?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Is this CRPS?

in 2007 I broke my tibia 2 inches about my right ankle, it took about 4 months to heal. I have ongoing aching/cold/hot pain in this leg along minor swelling and patchy brown discoloration. The hair growth pattern had a defined change (Lost all hair on one side of my foot and change in thickness).

The following year I had several unexplained absence seizures, blood in the stool, polycythemia of an unknown origin and an ongoing profound weakness, The doctors tried everything to relieve the symptoms and find an issue. The first diagnosis was Epilepsy and that the foot pain was "in my head". We went down the epilepsy ribbit hole for 9 months and after two different consults and no documented proof the nuero dropped the diagnosis. allowing me to regain my driving privileges and move on.

I chose at that point to stop pursuing the pain issue and to "live" with it, I was convinced it was in my head. The pain eventually began to subside and became a chronic ache. Swelling and discoloration remain, the pain will come back full force if i drop a plastic tub on my foot or bump the ankle. It lasts anywhere from 3 hours to a week.

In 2009 I sprained my left ankle. The pain was much worse this time around. Swelling, discoloration and hair loss followed. The ankle healed but the pain never stopped. On christmas day 2011 My wife, Son and I had a driver pull out in front of us. My left foot ended up being wedged between the pedals and while no detectable injury occurred it swelled up and turned purple.

I was without insurance at the time and could not pursue it. The color changed from purple to the spotted brown discoloration again and the pain level stayed the same. almost two year later the pain now seems to be increasing and I have lost range of motion in both ankles and on my left foot I have lost the ability to curl my three small toes, they seem to curling toward my big toe.

I was electrocuted on the job by a power line about a month ago and my arm that came in contact with the power line is starting to act the same way. I'm having a sharp pain in my hand, arm and shoulder, first thought to be nerve damage. It seems to be increasing in pain, not getting better. There was a noticeable color difference in the arm, darker brown when I left the hospital.

CRPS has been brought up twice now. the only test we have showing an abnormality is a bone scan of my feet showing symmetrical patchy uptake in the midfoot and ankle on both feet. I'm 25 and while overweight I maintain a very active lifestyle.

I'm a volunteer firefighter, own a small cable company and am outdoors daily. I'm having to stop activities I enjoy because of the increasing pain. I have a hard time accepting CRPS after reading some of the heart wrenching stories here. It hurts a lot but does not seem as bad as described by others. I would place the pain at a 5, About the same as a bad migraine or a second degree burn.

So for the summery.

1. there is a darker discoloration to the affected areas.
2. There is an ongoing pain. the pain is much worse if I decrease my activity.
3. tapping my left foot lightly will cause a burning sensation for about 10-15 minutes.
4. I'm loosing range of motion in the affected areas.
5. The pian is getting to the point I can not overcome it sometimes.
6. Drugs will help for a few days, then it seems as if i'm taking a placebo.
7. There has been a noticeable change in my gate.
8. The pain does affect my sleep. I can not have anything in contact with my feet or legs.
9. I have lost 15% of my body weight without any improvement.
10. the muscles in my leg seem to be getting much tighter.

The positive.
1. I can overcome the pain and walk.
2. hot water helps.

Ellery
ellery is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rory47 (01-07-2014)