View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 800 mg Q10

I have been taking Q10 for about 18 months at the urging of my neurologist. She said to take the max of 1200 mg but I only took 400 mg up until this Jan. when she again told me to take 1200 mg. So now I take 800 mg. It's a big expense at these amounts. I've been buying my Q10 and a few other supplements from Puritain's Pride which, I believe, have good prices. I can't say Q10 does anything for me. Since starting Sinemet about 30 months ago which "fixed" my tremor, I manage very well except for poor sleep. I have also been taking low dose naltrexone (4.5 mg) for about 34 months. I don't seem to have progressed much or at all but it's hard to tell as time goes by. Do either of these two drugs (Q1 or LDN) work? Maybe, they are both out of pocket expenses but worth it for now. At least with LDN and now dextromethorphan, there have been lab studies at the NIH led by Dr. Hong (see PubMeb) that show that PD can be simulated in rodents to show dopamine cell loss. They believe dopamine cell loss is caused by activated microglial neuroinflamation. They also show that low levels of naloxone (ldn) and DM can protect dopamine cells and significantly slow progression.
From what I've read about Q10, we all seem to have decreased amounts as we age. So I guess it helps to take it but at what amount? In the German study, it seems they didn't go far enough and also include a group that would take 1200 mg alongside the 300 mg and control group. At what amount is it pointless and maybe harmful to take too much Q10? If the blood levels showed a leveling of Q10 at a certain dose, does it make sense to take extreme amounts above that?
Ashley
ashleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote