View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 AM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Respectfully, It was my highly respected PHYSICIANS who cautioned me not to use ALA

I was told it is a potent mercury chelator and yes, therefore can remove mercury, but because I had high mercury levels (tested) he advised I use chlorella instead because the ALA can cross the BBB and so in doing it's job of chelating mercury, could actually aid in carrying more in.
I was told that once the testing showed my levels sufficiently down, the ALA could be used to mop up any more but I decided not to use it.
Later testing showed the chlorella had done an excellent job!

My "source" was my physician, as well as my dentist, as well as another health professional, not a "fear mongering post to a message board"! I decided to follow *their professional advice*.

Last I checked, NeuroTalk was a place where everyone was free to express their opinion, and especially their personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
I don't know how these things get started. As always, consider the sources quoted. Most of what I see are fear-mongering posts to other message boards referencing yet other message boards, etc. with very little/no credible supporting documentation. I find no studies that back up the claim.

In a review of literature (which can also be found on PubMed) I find exactly the opposite:

Mercury Toxicity and Antioxidants:
Part I: Role of Glutathione and alpha-Lipoic
Acid in the Treatment of Mercury Toxicity

(See page 7/16 of the pdf)

They're using ALA to remove mercury from the brain (which is part of the CNS) and other organs.

Even in some of the questionable sites, when I read far enough, they are talking about amounts of ALA much higher than those we are using here.

Doc

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-18-2013), MelodyL (10-16-2013), mrsD (08-18-2013)