Thread: Is this CRPS?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In your shoes this is what I would do:

First find the very best orthopedic to due a proper and full exam of your feet and lower leg bones; including MRI and EMG/NCV testing for legs and arm. I would also get in to see a physio/rehab person that can work with your ankles to address any scar tissue that could be contributing to the loss of ROM and likely adding additional pressure on surrounding nerves and vessels adding to the swelling and color changes. Before... accepting any CRPS diagnosis.

You want to be sure that any nerve issues are ruled out or addressed before that becomes a permanent issue. CRPS type 2 is caused by major nerve damage (usually damage of a large peripheral nerve) and depending on the extent sometimes it can be corrected. A neurologist (not a neurosurgeon) with a sub specialty in diagnosing and treating neuropathic pain.

Many of your symptoms of pain, swelling, stiffness etc., can be caused by scar tissue, tendon & ligament damage and other things especially in the ankles and after a tibia fracture. A badly sprained ankle without CRPS can take up to a year to heal and unless one is extremely diligent in therapy residual swelling and loss of ROM will continue long after it has healed. Any further trauma will cause the symptoms to reappear.

With your arm and considering the cable company business you own I assume you pull wire and perform quite a bit of overhead work? If this is true have you had your cervical spine worked up completely? Many problems with the arm and hands stem from C3-T1 and could have been exacerbated by the auto accident, electrocution and daily duties of your job. It is also possible that some of your increased pain, loss of ROM especially in your ankles can be worsening because of the lack of insurance and proper initial treatment.. a common latent problem for nursing our own wounds when insurance or personal reasons for not seeking care prevail - it would seem prudent to seek a full workup all things considered before assuming it is CRPS.

Personally I would try to remain as optimistic as possible that some of these symptoms are treatable and not a result of CRPS just YET and hopefully never!

I am an eternal optimist and it sounds like you are too.. don't give in just yet, it sounds there are enough gaps in treatment and concurrent injuries as well as repetitive things that could likely cause ongoing issues besides CRPS.

You mentioned medications - what have you tried?

Flexeril would be a good one for the stiffness
Lidoderm patches for the sensitivity
Vitamin B12 for nerves (many people are low in B12 and this can cause serious problems)
Vitamin D3 for bone and tissue repair

Pool therapy would be very beneficial considering your ankle/leg injuries.

I do hope for you that CRPS is not your diagnosis!!

Take good care & stay positive,
Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote