View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Suzie,

Let me clarify..... if you are going to use your own bone.... it requires two separate surgeries. Meaning at the one appointment, he will perform a surgery in one area of your mouth to remove the bone and then perform a second surgery in another area of your mouth to remove your tooth.

Why doesn't the surgeon use synthetic graft material? It is a viable option and one that is usually offered.

Post operatively you should not blow your nose and it's important to avoid crying as it causes inflammation and pressure in various areas of the sinus and face. People with allergies are usually prescribed anti histamines during the first 2 weeks or so post op the extraction to help them avoid blowing their nose. If you had to blow your nose it is recommended to keep your mouth open while blowing your nose to reduce the pressure in the sinus. But continual nose blowing is definitely not recommended.

The size of the incision to remove your own bone depends on the location site, your anatomy and the health of your jaw bone. After the bone is removed from the donor site, the area gets irrigated with copious amounts of saline and then it's sutured closed.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie0156 View Post
Hi and thank you very much. He is booked solid into the new year. So really, no crying or blowing nose? What do people do that need to blow if they have allergies? I blow every day, many times a day. This is not good news. My oral surgeon does not use synthetic so its either cadaver or my own. He would do it the day of the extraction, not two separate procedures. I thought about a bridge but I am told that in the long run, I would be happier with implants. I have two friends on facebook that are former dental hygeniests.

How long does one have to go without blowing nose and what do you do if you really have to? By the way, I dont smoke so that is good. Can you give me any idea of how large of an incision is made to get my own bone and does the oral surgeon have to do anything to it after he takes it from me?

Thank you very much!

Suzie
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote