View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 03:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree with stopping immobilisation - not using the affected limb is a definite no-go for CRPS as it makes the pain worse not better.

BUT if your ankle is still feeling very weak, and you are using it for support, then I wouldn't advocate just abandoning it. The last thing you need is another injury! I would say that if you are going out somewhere or just need to get things done, then wear the brace - but as soon as you get home again, take it off and (if you can) do some gentle rotation and flexing of that ankle on and off as often as you can during the day. Little and often being our watchwords here lol That way you keep the support for when you need it, but get that ankle joint moving to counteract the pain and stiffness with the CRPS.

Leaving the support off suddenly and completely with an already weak joint might lead to a mishap. Try to get a balance between support when you need it, and freedom of movement for that ankle when you can. You can gently try walking on it with something to hold on to, but if it hurts too much then just go for the non-wb movements to start with.

Talk to your physio if you have any concerns - sounds like she knows the brace needs to come off, which is the important thing in the long-run. Getting there needs a careful approach....

Good luck,

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vividDC (08-20-2013)