View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 04:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Suzie,

Let me clarify..... if you are going to use your own bone.... it requires two separate surgeries. Meaning at the one appointment, he will perform a surgery in one area of your mouth to remove the bone and then perform a second surgery in another area of your mouth to remove your tooth.

Why doesn't the surgeon use synthetic graft material? It is a viable option and one that is usually offered.

Post operatively you should not blow your nose and it's important to avoid crying as it causes inflammation and pressure in various areas of the sinus and face. People with allergies are usually prescribed anti histamines during the first 2 weeks or so post op the extraction to help them avoid blowing their nose. If you had to blow your nose it is recommended to keep your mouth open while blowing your nose to reduce the pressure in the sinus. But continual nose blowing is definitely not recommended.

The size of the incision to remove your own bone depends on the location site, your anatomy and the health of your jaw bone. After the bone is removed from the donor site, the area gets irrigated with copious amounts of saline and then it's sutured closed.

Bryanna

Hi again Bryanna

Gosh I dont think I am a good candidate for implants then. I cant imagine not blowing nose for a couple of weeks. Anti-histamines don't work for me and I have high blood pressure so my doctor has always just told me to blow as needed.

I do now understand what you meant by the two surgeries. Makes sense now. Regarding the synthetic materials, my oral surgeon told me he and his partners dont offer them because while he knows it's an option, it isn't there as they dont believe they are a good choice so they choose not to offer that option. I have done alot of reading on the internet and read it isn't most oral surgeons #1 choice.

So I called my regular dental office and spoke to a dental assistant and I told her my concerns. She told me she had a bridge and while I wouldnt be able to see my dentist again, I went once to discuss bridges, but he was so busy seeing patients, I couldnt focus on my questions because he was so needed. He and wife have a very thriving practice. So this one dental asst. told me she would show me hers and talk to me about it. She told me if she had to do it all over again, she would go with implants but that a bridge might be best option for me since I wont go with cow or cadaver bone and she hadn't heard that you couldnt blow your nose. So......I dunno, maybe I should keep my extraction date of Sept. 10 and just go with a bridge. I am told I dont have to have a bone graft with a bridge.

Do you know much about bridges? Are they really that bad? I've read on the internet that most people wish they had gone with implants. I have crowns on both sides of the #3 that has to go. And root canals on all of them also. Anything you can tell me about bridges is much appreciated as I wonder, emotionally, a bridge might be my best bet. I wish I could wrap my brain around the cadaver thing but that wont ever happen. And even if I could, I cant go 2 weeks without blowing my nose, I cant imagine how that is healthy even.

What is your line of work to know so much? Thank you for all you do for all of us.

Suzie
Suzie0156 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote