View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 04:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The intrathecal injections are not as bad or as likely to cause the same problems as a spinal tap because they aren't removing CSF. Although the proceedure is the same, once they have drawn out a little CSF to make sure that they are in, they use the same syringe/needle, with a bit of the CSF in it to inject the Baclofen.

I've never had a reaction to the intrathecal injections like one gets with the spinal tap. The only problem I've ever had was too much muscle relaxation following the injection. Until that happened, I hadn't realized how much I rely on the spasticity to get around. When the Baclofen injection decreased the spasticity too much, the legs were too weak to support my body weight for a few hours.

The other alternative if you do choose to have it, (and you will need to have it as a test before they will put in a pump), is to see if they will allow a radiologist to do it under fluoroscope (A form of X-ray).

For certain, if you've had problems with the spinal taps and require another one, ask for them to do it this way because then they can see exactly where they are placing the needle; so no chance of a "bad poke".

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote