View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Cathy,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some help here.

Regarding the apicoectomy surgery....
Many dentists no long recommend or perform this type of procedure because it is barbaric, costly and serves no benefit. It cannot and will not cure your infected tooth because it does nothing to alter the infection inside of the tooth. In fact this procedure will cause more pain, more inflammation, more infection and more trauma to the jaw bone making it difficult to replace once the tooth is removed. Dentists who do still perform this surgery do so for the $$$$$ and because they are simply putting off the inevitable which is removal of the infected tooth. You should have been informed of the risks of this procedure by your dentist and he should not have told you it would cure the infection.

The antibiotic has temporarily helped to subside some of the inflammation reducing your symptoms. However, it is not curing the infection and this is only temporary. The pain, swelling will return. The other reason the pain has subsided is because the infection has found a path to drain. This is not a good or healthy thing. This means that the bacteria is seeping into the bone even further.

Your tooth is very diseased. A re treat of the root canal is useless and so is an apicoectomy. The only way to cure this infection is to remove the source of the infection which is your tooth.

To wait to remove this tooth means to allow the infection to spread. It is also better to have it extracted while you are on the antibiotic rather than having to take the meds all over again later on. It would be wise to discuss replacement options with your general dentist and then see an oral surgeon for the removal.

I'm sorry to be so blunt and I'm sorry your dentist has not properly informed you. Unfortunately your situation is common and you would be wise to consider the information that I have provided for you here.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy75 View Post
Thank you Ginnie. Already discuss with my dentist about the option of extraction for my front teeth. He still insist on apicoectomy. He said he does not agree with extraction and told me that it is better to save my teeth. In the mean time, he gave me antibiotic. The pain is almost gine by now.
I am scheduled for Apiciectomy next week. Should I wait a few months and look for second opinion? [/B]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote