View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas19 View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum, there seems to be a lot of good information and knowledgable people here who have had similar experiences as myself. I'm very much looking forward to sharing experiences and advice.

I had a pretty severe concussion while boxing about 2.5 years ago, and a much less severe concussion playing hockey about 10 months ago (non-contact league...just got bumped in the head by a guy's shoulder). Since then, I've stopped all contact sports and have really tried my best to take care of my head.

However, this summer (starting beginning of June) I've taken up running outside again. For the past 7 weeks, I've been dealing with horrible feelings of weakness, muscle achiness, headaches, irritability and mood swings, inability to concentrate at work, and sometimes fatigue. I noticed in the last 8 weeks or so I was getting WORSE at running.

I was pretty bad for a few weeks and then decided to take it VERY easy for 2 weeks, i.e. didn't go to work for a week, slept early every night, no exercise. I got a lot better up until last weekend. I stayed out very late one night, and the next night got (too) drunk. I know....sounds really dumb....but I thought I was better.

This last week has been horrible, with all of the above symptoms. Mostly, the horrible weakness feeling. I am often out of breath from chewing my food.

I am going for a CT scan on Tuesday, but I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences or heard of anyone aggravating their PCS by running, especially so long after the initial head traumas. The only thing I can think of is the impact on the hard pavement is rattling my brain.

This honestly feels like when I had mono, but without the sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. I cant do anything. I cant take my dog for a 10 minute walk without feeling like a feeble old man.

I am a 26 year old male, I also have ulcerative colitis, but it has been under control and I don't think has anything to do with this.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you

Bas
Hi,
I have a very similar story to yours. 4th concussion was a severe one 12 years ago when I over rotated a back flip snowboarding.

Fast forward to last dec 9 when I received my 5th, after taking a shoulder to the head in a no- check hockey league. The hit didn't seem bad at first and I didn't go down and actually finished my shift. The symptoms set in mildly in the locker room and progressed and peaked around day 3. They have persisted since.

I soon after (march) tried to return to surfing and smacked my face off of a wave which in most cases would have not been an issue at all. Instead i saw stars and have been dealing with ultra sensitivity to any jarring or sudden movement from things as innocent as a sneeze since.

My very active lifestyle has ceased to exist. Hockey is done , surfing, hopefully some day I can return?

Running is definitely something that aggravates my PCS symptoms.
My advice is to take it slow. Try swimming or biking for exercise. They are two of the only things that I can do and I keep them in short duration to avoid a worsening headache.

I am on month 9 and wish I wouldn't have made it worse early on by not taking it easy.

Best, Nolan
Noland is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote