View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,

Thanks so much for your reply. No, I did not have an apico on either tooth; my first dentist did not recommend it, and I had by that time already read a lot of very discouraging things online about the procedure. Unfortunately, I had not read about the general infection issues with root canals until recently, and had already undergone the second root canal.

The "other" procedures I'm referring to in terms of the first root-canal are various phases of re-treatment (including calcium hydroxide) and one procedure in which the dentist said he sterilized the tooth, using a laser. This did stop the percussive pain, but did not alleviate the pain around and inside the gum, which began right after the root canal and has continued unabated to this day.

Sometimes it's better and sometimes it's worse (which I don't really understand; why is it better in the morning?) but it's never felt like a healthy normal tooth since before the root canal. The frustrating thing for me is that for 9 months I have been telling two sets of dentists and two endos that the tooth is either fractured or infected or both, and they have kept me on a path of investigating other options (in addition to retreatments- replacing a year old crown,and now peridontal issues). I feel like I have made a serious commitment to this root canal, and not just a financial one (though that of course is SUBSTANTIAL). I have missed holidays and vacations (and funerals) and just day-to-day life waiting for this pain to subside, and the root canal to settle down. The fact that it will not EVER do this is heartbreaking to me, and made worse by the fact that my friends and family cannot imagine how I have been rendered so incapacitated by a *mere* root canal. Especially when all the medical professionals find absolutely nothing wrong with the tooth.

I have seen some of your other posts on here and I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to me. Just wondering if you have any additional insight about ruling out the other possibilities (TN, TMJ, violation of the biologic width of the tooth) so that I can convince my dentist to do the extraction. Also, if you have input about the difference between letting a periodontist (who does implants) and an oral surgeon do the extraction. Since I am seeing the periodontist tomorrow (and I would have to find a separate oral surgeon) it would be convenient to be able to schedule something with him, especially if I decide to do the implants. Or should I start searching for an oral surgeon who would be willing to do this?

Thank you again for all your help!
sadie682 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote