View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

oh, OK - here's some more info:

The first treatment cycle usually consists of 10 treatments over 2 weeks: you go Monday thru Friday, then take the weekend off, then go Monday thru Friday. Each treatment is about 35 to 45 minutes long. There are 5 pairs of pads hooked up to the machine for a total of 10 pads.

They start by placing 5 pads around (not on) the original injury site, and 5 pads on the corresponding spot on the spine. For example, for my daughter, the doctor placed 5 pads around the injury site on her foot (again, not ON), and then 5 on her spine corresponding to where it was on her foot. Then he slowly turns up the the electricity on each pair of pads, one by one. He would slowly turn the dial, and then she would feel it either on her spine or on her foot, and then he would turn it a little more, and she would feel it on the other place. Then he would start with the next pair of pads, until she could feel all 10. What you feel is a kind of buzzing/popping/tingling type of feeling. It doesn't hurt - if it hurts, he'll turn it down. The signal varies constantly, so the feelings are constantly changing from nothing to the buzzing/popping/tingling.

Within 5 minutes into the treatment, the patient usually has the pain go way down or even disappear. The doctor will adjust the dials halfway thru the treatment, usually a little higher.

After the treatment, if it went well, the pain will be either way down or gone. The pain will come back sometime during that day, but usually comes back at a lower level. Each day, after each treatment, the pain relief lasts longer and comes back at a lower level. If the pain gets down to 0 and stays there, then the doctor will stop early - some people don't need 10 treatments. My daughter ended up needing 13, because half way through, she dropped a heavy bowl right on her affected leg and got a huge bruise, and it set her back a bit.

Typically, patients will need "booster" treatments down the line. My daughter's remission lasted 3 months, then she needed 4 treatments to get her back into remission. The remissions follow the same pattern as the treatments - they typically last longer, and the pain comes back at a lower level.

This treatment, like most treatments, doesn't work for everyone, but it is sure working well for many people. It's certainly an option that people should consider, IMO. Insurances are starting to pay for it, too - as I mentioned above, I wrote a 5-page letter to my insurance company explaining how it saved them thousands and thousands of dollars, and they decided to cover it. And that was HealthNet - a major insurance company.

The doctor I saw was Dr. Cooney in New Jersey - very nice and very experienced, especially with RSD.

Let me know if you have any more questions that I can answer. I know it's nice to hear from people that have actually gone through a procedure.
SloRian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (09-12-2014), jdj88 (09-19-2015), mama mac (08-20-2015), moosey2me (11-17-2013)